Sunday, September 2, 2007

Koko the Magnificent



testing ...... testing..... Eureka! It worked! Just when I'd all but accepted that I'd reached the limits of my computer-challenged brain. I've uploaded a photo -


This is Koko the Magnificent, my secondary cat who came to me by a circuitous route via my generous neighbor Marni as a thank-you for looking after her cats Kramer and Oliver (sounds like a vaudeville team) because she felt my primary calico Fergie needed a companion ("sure', says Fergie, "like I need a terminal case of ticks")


But it's Koko's origins that fascinate - she was actually bred at the NRC in Ottawa for research purposes. I feel faint to think about it. Rats - great. Mice - why not? Even rabbits - they multiply like - ha-ha - rabbits anyway! But CATS?? Especially this elegant Norwegian Forest Cat. Fortunately for Koko one of the lab techs just fell in love with her (as who would not?) and adopted her. But the tech's primary cat was less than enamored with the new addition and went into instant attack mode with the result that poor Koko was relegated to the Humane Society from whence Marni rescued her. As one can see, she is not wasting away at 19 lbs, even on weight-control food. But she has a disposition that humans would envy, and that defuses irascible felines like my brother's caramel cat Ellwood with the personality of a cut-worm, so that he visibly melts in her presence (Ellwood, not my brother).


7 Comments:

At September 2, 2007 at 10:39 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

what a great photo!
there's no stopping you now....
:-)

 
At September 2, 2007 at 12:47 PM , Blogger she said...

Thank you! I'd be embarrassed to admit how long it took me -

Do you know of any other females who would look this good with tufts of hair between their toes and coming out of their ears?

 
At September 5, 2007 at 11:31 AM , Blogger daisies said...

she is a beauty and oh my you crack me up ~ i so don't know any other females that would look this good with tufts of hair between their toes and coming out of their ears, hee hee

fantastic photo .. now i know where your daughter gets her talent!

 
At September 7, 2007 at 9:59 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

but don't EVER say that about rabbits again! Tsk!

 
At September 7, 2007 at 6:00 PM , Blogger she said...

There are rabbits, Lynn, (jOLLY),and then there are RABBITS! These latter dig up my prize tulip bulbs, break off my tall phlox, eat my roses, and they do it while they're looking at me!!

 
At September 11, 2007 at 11:19 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

Hello! I am a great fan of your daughter's site two muses (although I haven't commented there for ages so I wouldn't expect her to make any connection) -- anyway, it was through her mention of your new blog that I found you. I must say, your title "renaissance granny" put an instant smile on my face! I look forward to reading your adventures!

 
At September 14, 2007 at 4:47 AM , Blogger Deepshikha said...

Nice picture :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home